Monday, July 5, 2010

Virtual Success!

The decision to home school was a decision I never thought I would make.Until last summer, I always thought it was beyond my abilities. While trying to find readiness material for my 4 year old, so he could enter kindergarten on the right foot. I ran across a website for a virtual public school and before I realized what it was I registered to the site. I remember being a little irritated when I realized it was not what I thought it was. After summing up what the site was about, Public Virtual Education, I showed it to my fourth grade son, the entire time thinking; no way would I ever take on that kind of responsibility. I dismissed the concept as novel at best.

The start of school year 2008-2009 had begun and I had one son starting Kindergarten and another going into 5th grade. My older boy Brice had been struggling since 3rd grade and insisted on testing me in new an unusual ways. He would leave his books at school so we would be unable to do his home work. He would tell me he had no home work when in fact he did. He would hide his bad grades and he even received a 1% on an open book test, ARGGH! I tried grounding him, we had numerous teacher conferences and he even had summer school, all to no avail. The ironic thing was that he always passed his standardized tests, albeit by the very thin skin of his teeth.

That March, I received an Email in my in box from the virtual school, (Georgia Cyber Academy) stating they were registering for the 2009-2010 school year and that they had so many families that wanted to register, that they would need to do a lottery. I registered Brice on a whim thinking to my self that if he got a spot, it would be a sign from God to try it. I gave no more thought to the idea for rest of the school year.

Again, Brice barely passed his standardized test and was promoted to 6th grade. My husband I and did let him go and spend the summer in IL with his biological Mom and his paternal Grandparents. I could have technically sent him to summer school but I needed to catch my breath as badly as he did. A few weeks into the summer I received the congratulatory Email, informing me that Brice had won a spot at GCA. I was excited and terrified  at the same time. I then spent several hours researching the school to see what it had to offer. I immediately became aware that I would be his learning coach and would need to be very involved. I was ready for the commitment, anything that would help Brice succeed.

There were several things that stood out about the school .1  Excellent curriculum.  2. Was the fact that since it was considered a charter school it was free and all the books and aids and teacher guides were included. We even qualified for a computer and printer. 4. and 5.  Was GCA’s mastery based program and its flexible schedule. 6. The teaching sessions are given via the computer by fully accredited teachers. Last, was the real clincher, individual pace; we could go as fast or as slow as we needed to, with numerous chances for remediation. I knew Brice and I could do well with this kind of structure. I made a pro/con list, the biggest con being Brice’s socialization, but the school did offer and encouraged many chances for socializing with trips and gatherings through out the year. I was sold!


I went to my husband armed with all my rebuttals and ready to argue. To my surprise my husband was very supportive of the idea. However, the decision was ultimately Brice’s. I called him at his Grandparents house to discuss it with him.  He gave the idea consideration and once he realized he did not have to get up before 8 am he was convinced.

It was in no way an easy transition, we struggled, argued, our patience with each other was tested often. The results speak for them selves though. Brice’s first semester grades he received four A’s and a B. He brought up his standardized scores up from squeaking by to nearly exceeding grade level in almost every subject. The cherry on the cake was the fact that Brice had 168+ gains in math and 300+ gains in reading and finished the year with straight A’s. Our families experience in virtual education was a success and next year my youngest son will join the trenches. I for one can’t wait for another challenging year of real and "virtual" success!

 Link to GCA

http://www.k12.com/gca/






School 2.0: Kids Go Online to Learn









(ABC NEWS)











The Hand That Rocks The Cradle







Blessings on the hand of women!
Angels guard its strength and grace,
In the palace, cottage, hovel,
Oh, no matter where the place;
Would that never storms assailed it,
Rainbows ever gently curled;
For the hand that rocks the cradle
Is the hand that rules the world.
 
Infancy's the tender fountain,
Power may with beauty flow,
Mother's first to guide the stream lets,
From them souls unresting grow--
Grow on for the good or evil,
Sunshine streamed or evil hurled;
For the hand that rocks the cradle
Is the hand that rules the world.
 
Woman, how divine your mission
Here upon our natal sod!
Keep, oh, keep the young heart open
Always to the breath of God!
All true trophies of the ages
Are from mother-love imperiled;
For the hand that rocks the cradle
Is the hand that rules the world.
 
Blessings on the hand of women!
Fathers, sons, and daughters cry,
And the sacred song is mingled
With the worship in the sky--
Mingles where no tempest darkens,
Rainbows evermore are hurled;
For the hand that rocks the cradle
Is The hand that rules the world





Bookmark and Share


No comments: